This year will be the twenty fifth running of the British Columbia Historic Motor Races. To mark this significant milestone, the race organizers have expanded the weekend program to provide a very exciting and interesting motor sport festival for both participants and fans. Two races have been added to the VRCBC’s usual program and the static Vehicle Display -formerly known as the Car Corral – has been enhanced as well.
The new races for 2012 are:
- Children’s Charity Grand Prix – The CCGP is a well-known annual event at Mission Raceway. For 2012, the CCGP will recall and celebrate the classic GT races that were a fixture of the legendary Westwood racing circuit. Appropriately, these very fast and crowd-pleasing cars will contend for the Westwood Trophy.
- International Formula Vee Challenge – The big annual Formula Vee race at Mission Raceway sponsored by BC’s very own Family Affair Racing Team has become a must-attend event for all Vee enthusiasts. This year’s race will recognize the contribution that Formula Vee has made to road racing around the world for more than forty years. The Formula Vees will contend for the Abbotsford Trophy, a historic award that celebrates where road racing began in British Columbia, at the nearby ex-WWII airfield, Abbotsford Airport in 1950.
The traditional Vintage racing program has been restructured to provide more races by allowing newer but still Vintage cars in the four racing groups:
- Vintage Group 1 – Fast Production-based sedans and sports cars up to 1992.
- Vintage Group 2 – Fastest Production-based sedans and sports cars up to 1992.
- Vintage Group 3 – Fast Exhibition Group cars – sports racing and formula (single seat) purpose-built racing cars at least twenty years old.
- Vintage Group 4 – Fastest Exhibition Group cars – sports racing and formula (single seat) purpose-built racing cars at least twenty years old.
The Vintage racers will contend for two special ‘Driver of the Weekend’ trophies:
- Sports Car Club of British Columbia Award for drivers in Vintage Groups 1 and 2
- Pete Lovely Memorial Award for drivers in Vintage Groups 3 and 4
Check out the Event Web Site at: www.bchmr.ca .
The 2012 BCHMR will be a real festival of road racing. Mark August 4th and 5th on your calendar now!